Live your volunteering experience in Hout Bay, a Cape Town community located about 20 minutes from the city center. The project is developed in a very poor favela area with few possibilities. The reality for the children who live in this area is that few of them go to school and often don’t have anyone to encourage them to learn or play sports. Many of them end up begging in the streets or using drugs.
With this project, GrowPro Experience in conjunction with some guys from the favela who got ahead thanks to sports, seek to create a community of volunteers who focus on these young people, their education, and offer them the love they need to succeed. You in?
Experience detailsFull time or just mornings
- Full time volunteering (9am – 6pm): You will work as a volunteer at the Hout Bay school teaching the children in the mornings and in the afternoon as a monitor in one of the following activities (soccer, basketball, music, video editing, dance , Martial Arts)
- Volunteering in the mornings (9am-1pm) If you prefer to have more free time this is your option. Work as a volunteer during the mornings teaching the children at the Hout Bat school and enjoy the afternoons to do whatever you prefer (tourism, excursions, beach …)
*Both options have the same cost, your decision will depend on how much you want to get involved in the project.
Why do I have to pay to volunteer?
Many people are initially surprised when they realize they have to pay to volunteer. However, you should bear in mind that the cost of volunteering includes accommodation, food, transportation and support staff in the country.
GrowPro Experience does not benefit at all from the volunteer project, all the money is entirely destined to cover the expenses during your stay and the project itself.
What does it includes?
- Full board (breakfast, lunch and dinner).
- Transfers from the airport
- Daily transport from the accommodation to volunteering
- Support staff at destination
- Advice and follow-up before and during volunteering.
- Barbecues at the house, tours through the city and pleasant atmosphere guaranteed
Details of the accommodation
The accommodation for the volunteers will be a house that is located in Hout Bay, about 10 minutes by car from the area where the project is developed (daily transport included). All the volunteers will live in the same house together with the people in charge of the project.
The property belongs to a local artist who was so motivated by the project that he decided to rent us the house. It is a very large and spacious house, with barbecue, pool and even pool table. The rooms are shared between 4 people.
During the weekends, paellas, barbecues, outings and excursions will be organized in the house to create a community and good atmosphere among all. These activities will be optional.
The address of the house is: 1 Garron Ave, Hout Bay, Cape Town, 7806, South Africa
Start / end dates
Volunteers are organized in blocks of two weeks; They start on Sundays and end on Saturdays (minimum 2 weeks – maximum 12).The dates of entry and exit for 2018 are as follows*:
- Sunday, June 3 – Saturday June 16th
- Sunday, June 17th – Saturday, June 30th*
- Sunday, July 1st – Saturday, July 14th*
- SOLD OUT: Sunday, July 15th – Saturday, July 28th (there are no places left for these dates)
- Sunday, July 29th – Saturday, August 11th
- Sunday, August 12th – Saturday, August 25th
- Sunday, August 26th – Saturday, September 7th
- Sunday, September 8th – Saturday, September 22nd
The departure date will vary according to the selected entry date and the number of weeks chosen.
*From the 22th of june till the 15th of july there won’t be class for the school kids, so there will be a Summer Camp planned instead. During these weeks the volunteers will help during the weeks within the hours of education support and, during the afternoons, the playful activities in the school.
Prices of other durations
- 2 weeks: 650€
- 4 weeks: 970€
- 6 weeks: 1,210€
- 8 weeks: 1,530€
- 10 weeks: 1,850€
- 12 weeks: 2,170€
Does not includeAirline tickets, medical insurance, daily transportation, other
The following are not included in the price:
- Plane tickets
- Compulsory health insurance (1’62€ per day per person)
- (Optional with additional cost) English course
- Trips in South Africa (Garden Route, safaris, bungee jumping …)
Frequently asked questionsContact with your Experience Manager
- Requirements: person over 18 and with minimal knowledge of English to be able to help effectively
- Visa: Tourist visa for Mexicans: this visa will allow you to stay up to 3 months in the country, it does not allow work but you can study. For the rest of the countries, it is not necessary to ask for a visa
- Vaccinations: If you intend to visit the Kruger National Park, you should take the malaria pills. If not, in principle it is not necessary to be vaccinated. We recommend consulting with your medical center.
- Other questions: once you make the reservation we will assign an Experience Manager who will solve all the questions that arise.
Why live an experience with GrowPro Experience?We give you 4 reasons why you should choose us
In GrowPro Experience we help you to live a study experience abroad. Get out of your comfort zone. Your experience starts here!
- We advise and accompany you throughout the entire process, from when you decide to familiarize yourself with the program, until you arrive at your destination.
- An educational consultant (Experience Manager) will solve all your doubts honestly and transparently based on your objectives and interests as well as managing all the procedures so that you only have to worry about enjoying.
- Finally, upon your arrival, we make sure that you quickly incorporate into your destination country with the support of our community.