Live your volunteer experience in Hout Bay
Hout Bay is a municipality located 20 minutes from the center of Cape Town. The project is developed in a very poor favelas area (Hanberg) with few possibilities for social and economic integration.
Due to the social exclusion suffered by this community, the vast majority of people are unemployed. Without employment or a source of income and a lot of free time, many of them start to use drugs and even traffic with them. This has a very negative effect on young people, since they lose the mother / father figure who are those who transmit such important values as: respect, companionship, generosity, motivation …
With this project, GrowPro Experience has two objectives:
- Establish a youth group in the community (Hangberg) that allows to take children out of the street in the afternoons and where we can, through educational workshops and recreational activities, transmit values, create concerns and encourage the cognitive abilities of children.
- Promote local entrepreneurship, encouraging the development of local businesses in the community, so that job opportunities are generated within it.
For all this we need 200% motivated volunteers with ideas and desires that in a few months Hangberg is totally different.
Would you like to join?
The volunteer will develop a double task:
Every afternoon during the week (from 3:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.), he will act as a monitor in the Hanberg youth group, coordinating the workshops and activities carried out with the group. The workshops and activities will deal with very diverse topics. From workshops related to the environment to workshops on how and why you should wash your teeth. In addition, the activities will always aim to transmit values to the children.
In the morning it will be time to give the coconut. Volunteers will be divided into teams according to their interests and motivation. There are several teams:
- Team Events & Workshops. They look for ideas, creativity and the best ways to attract and influence children to get the most out of them. There will be a general planing that will be carried out in the afternoons, but like everything we do, it will be flexible and open to your ideas!
- Team Huerto. In the school we are building an ecological garden to produce food for the same and at the same time create a concern in the children.
- Team Fundraising. It is responsible for getting everything that is needed for the project either through contacts of the volunteers themselves or by contacting companies to make donations of products. A challenge!
- Team Entrepreneurship. Looking for local people with an entrepreneurial profile, training and developing a business plan to create a business within the community that allows them to generate an income.
Why do I have to pay to volunteer?
Many people are initially surprised when they realize they have to pay to volunteer. However, you should bear in mind that the cost of volunteering includes accommodation, food, transportation and support staff in the country.
GrowPro Experience does not benefit at all from the volunteer project, all the money is entirely destined to cover the expenses during your stay and the project itself.
What does it includes?
- Full board (breakfast, lunch and dinner)
*Saturdays and Sundays will only include breakfast and dinner. Lunch is not included in the weekend.
- Daily transport from the accommodation to volunteering
- Support staff at destination
- Advice and follow-up before and during volunteering.
Details of the accommodation
The accommodation for the volunteers will be a house that is located in Hout Bay, about 10 minutes by car from the area where the project is developed (daily transport included). All the volunteers will live in the same house together with the people in charge of the project.
The property belongs to a local artist who was so motivated by the project that he decided to rent us the house. It is a very large and spacious house, with barbecue, pool and even pool table. The rooms are shared between 4/6 people.
Start / end dates
Volunteers will have a minimum duration of 2 weeks; They start on Sundays each month and end on Saturdays.
Start dates available for 2018 are the following:
- Sunday July 29
- Sunday August 12
- Sunday August 26
- Sunday September 2
- Sunday September 9
- Sunday, September 16
- Sunday, September 23
- Sunday September 30
- Sunday, October 7
- Sunday, October 14
- Sunday, October 21
- Sunday, October 28
- Sunday, November 4
- Sunday, November 11
- Sunday, November 18
- Sunday, November 25
- Sunday December 2
The departure date will vary according to the selected entry date and the number of weeks chosen.
If you are interested in volunteering in 2019, the first entry date will be January 19 and every Sunday following until April. Write us and reserve your place.
Prices of other durations
- 2 weeks: € 400 (€ 200 / week) + administrative cost
- 3 weeks: € 570 (€ 190 / week) + administrative cost
- 4 weeks: € 720 (€ 180 / week) + administrative cost
- 5 weeks: € 850 (€ 170 / week) + administrative cost
- 6 or more weeks: € 160 / week + administrative cost
The total cost of volunteering will depend on how many weeks you decide to do + a single payment for administrative costs (€ 250).
Does not includeAirline tickets, medical insurance, daily transportation, other
The following are not included in the price:
- Plane tickets
- Airport transfer
- Compulsory health insurance (1’62€ per day per person)
- (Optional with additional cost) English course
- Trips in South Africa (Garden Route, safaris, bungee jumping …)
Frequently asked questionsContact with your Experience Manager
- Requirements: person over 18 and with minimal knowledge of English to be able to help effectively
- Visa: Tourist visa for Mexicans: this visa will allow you to stay up to 3 months in the country, it does not allow work but you can study. For the rest of the countries, it is not necessary to ask for a visa
- Vaccinations: If you intend to visit the Kruger National Park, you should take the malaria pills. If not, in principle it is not necessary to be vaccinated. We recommend consulting with your medical center.
- Other questions: once you make the reservation we will assign an Experience Manager who will solve all the questions that arise.
Why live an experience with GrowPro Experience?We give you 4 reasons why you should choose us
In GrowPro Experience we help you to live a study experience abroad. Get out of your comfort zone. Your experience starts here!
- We advise and accompany you throughout the entire process, from when you decide to familiarize yourself with the program, until you arrive at your destination.
- An educational consultant (Experience Manager) will solve all your doubts honestly and transparently based on your objectives and interests as well as managing all the procedures so that you only have to worry about enjoying.
- Finally, upon your arrival, we make sure that you quickly incorporate into your destination country with the support of our community.